On Friday October 11, 1929 the Headlines Read:
Citizens Pleased With
The New Lacy School Building

Contains Many New Features; Large Crowd Present For Formal Opening of New East End School Building Last Night; Short Program Is Followed By General Inspection; Heat Is by Latest Thermostatic Control; Pupils Organize Own Orchestra.

The formal opening of the new Lacy School building was held last night with a large and enthusiastic crowd in attendance. From seven o’clock until after ten, the school was crowded not only with those living in that section of the city, but also citizens who were there merely to enjoy the beauty of the building and to view the modern appointments.

At promptly 7:30 the formal opening exercises in the auditorium, were opened with a number by the orchestra consisting of pupils of the new school: Max Schwab, Amil Schwab, Allan Ristau, Paul Ackert, Arnold Flick, Carl Schwanke, Edward Schwanke, and Martha Ackert. The invocation was pronounced by Rev. R.L. Fasinger of the Salem Evangelical Church. Miss Martha Ackert pleased the audience with two vocal selections which were admirably chosen and well presented.

The main address of the evening was given by Supt. Of Schools P.W.M. Pressell who thanked the residents for their support of the bond issue and their firm faith in the board until the promise could be fulfilled. He stressed the importance of citizens greeting the problem of education with an open mind and not treating every step of in the pedagogic science as a passing fad or fancy. “There is a lot of criticism, “ he said “about the amount of money spent annually for education yet when you compare it with the amount spent commercially, it is small enough to be ridiculous. State figures show that only on and one half cents out of every dollar is spent for education as contrasted with the enormous percentage spent for luxury and waste and if it can be hoped to keep abreast of commerce then more money must be spent on education. It is impossible to get results in 1929 with 1928 methods.”

Following Mr. Pressel’s address, President of the School Board E.H. Beshlin formally presented this wonderful school to the Community with a few well chosen remarks. In his usual gracious manner, Burgess - Chapman accepted the building in belaf of the borough and after another fine number by the orchestra, Rev. J.G. Ginader, pastor of the Epworth M.E. Church, pronounced the benediction.

From 8:45 to 10 o’clock, the visitors were shown through all parts of the magnificent building which is one of the most beautiful and up-to-date edifices in this section. Many were heard to express surprise at the modern fixtures and equipment which feature the school and it was evident that everyone present was well pleased that Warren is the fortunate owner of it.

The entire interior, consisting of 13 rooms, is finished in light colors to afford the maximum amount of light; the base of the walls is brick for about four feet and from there to the ceiling is finished in a white stucco. The windows are large and it can imagined that no dark corners or shadows will be found during the day. Beautiful drinking fountains and attractive desks, chairs, and tables go to make up the balance of the furnishings. The entire floor is covered with a composition flooring which is sanitary as well as silencing to the ninth degree.

The heating problem no longer confronts the teachers and janitor during the winter, for the school is equipped with a mechanical stoker and thermostatic control. Fire peril, due to faulty furnaces, is thus abolished and even were it not for the modern methods of heating, it is extremely doubtful whether anything inflammable is in the building. Stair towers and the absence of woodwork and baseboards make the whole school practically fire-proof.

Among the features which were noticed was the absence of the old-fashioned cloak room where many youth used to spend most of his time in disgrace. Now there are large sanitary closets in all the rooms and these are closed by means of collapsible doors. A sewing room, ample auditorium and up to date lavatories are among the other things worthy of mention.

In case the school ever needs enlargement it will be an easy matter to do so, for Architects Lawrie and Green have provided for this in their plans. The Hyde, Mirphy Co. of Ridgway were the general contractors and may be as justly proud of their splendid work as the architects.

Not only is the school model on the inside but the exterior also is beautiful and adds greatly to the east end of the borough.

Lacy replaced the former Gladerun School shown below. This pair of buildings stood on the corner of Locust St. and Park Ave.

Picture of the old Glade Run School - scanned from a postcard I found somewhere